Sunday, February 1, 2009

Post - Week 5

I have done all the readings...am behind w/ the post...hope to have it up tomorrow...here's part of it:

Job 20: Zophar responds to Job:

1 Then Zophar the Naamathite (replied: 2 This is why my unsettling thoughts compel me to answer, because I am upset!

How often have I responded because I am upset? Did I count to 3, think to remain silent, or decide I must respond because I was right!

3 I have heard a rebuke that insults me, and my understanding makes me reply.

And there you have Zophar in all his humanity – all my understanding makes me reply. I will be judged for my words one day, Lord have mercy on me.

Job 21: Job responds to Zophar:
2 Pay close attention to my words;
let this be the consolation you offer.
3 Bear with me while I speak;
then after I have spoken, you may continue mocking.
Job wanted to make his point without interruption, how many times have I tried or succeeded in interrupting someone based on my understanding and what I assume they will say? I understand Job’s frustration with his friends and his current situation. Still he does not curse God. In verse 34, Job really hits his point home:
34 So how can you offer me such futile comfort?
Your answers are deceptive.
Job 22, our friend Eliphaz weighs in again. Eliphaz thinks because Job complained so much of his afflictions, he thought God was unjust in afflicting him; but Job was far from thinking so. What Eliphaz says, is unjustly applied to Job, but it is very true, that when God does us good it is not because he is indebted to us…many times our words can be correct but our hearts are all wrong when we speak.
2 Can a man be of [any] use to God? Can even a wise man be of use to Him? 3 Does it delight the Almighty if you are righteous? Does He profit if you perfect your behavior? 4 Does He correct you and take you to court because of your piety?
I am skipping down to verse 21 now, Eliphaz wrongly assumes that Job had not really known God, and that prosperity in this life would follow his sincere conversion. The counsel Eliphaz here gives is good to a new believer, but not to Job. Let us mind our words regarding our brothers and sisters in Christ. If we are in a season of suffering, let’s me mindful of Job and remain focused on the Lord.
Job responds to Eliphaz in Chapter 23, he admits to bitter complaints:
3 If only I knew how to find Him, so that I could go to His throne. 4 I would plead my case before Him and fill my mouth with arguments. 5 I would learn how He would answer me; and understand what He would say to me. 6 Would He prosecute me forcefully? No, He will certainly pay attention to me.
Job goes on to say in chapter 24:
22 Yet God drags away the mighty by His power; when He rises up, they have no assurance of life.
23 He gives them a sense of security, so they can rely [on it], but His eyes [watch] over their ways.
24 They are exalted for a moment, then they are gone; they are brought low and shrivel up like everything else. They wither like heads of grain.
25 If this is not true, then who can prove me a liar and show that my speech is worthless?
When it’s all said in done, seasons in life may have been hard, evil people may seem to skip through the tulips, but the Lord knows and sees all. He will judge and His judgment is righteous and just.
Bildad has a few words in chapter 25:
Dominion and dread belong to Him, the One who establishes harmony in the heavens.
Can His troops be numbered? Does His light not shine on everyone?
How can a person be justified before God? How can one born of woman be pure?
If even the moon does not shine and the stars are not pure in His sight,
how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!
Thankfully though born of a woman we are made pure through Jesus Christ, we are cleansed from our sin and made righteous when we make Jesus our Lord and Saviour all because He was born of a virgin.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annette,

    I am Lisa and it's so nice to meet you! I just wanted you to know that I am reading through the Bible with you and I am lifting your family to God's throne this week. You are in my prayers.

    Praying and anticipating Him wiping every tear,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Annette! You've been on my mind more than you know!
    Much Love,
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry... that comment was from your friend, Angbaylis. I can't figure out why it is posting from that account. Sorry!
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing that struck me about Job's friends was that they all had some measure of truth to their words. Possibly enough truth that a lesser person (like me) might have listened to their "advice." This reminds me that I need to cautiously weigh all "well meaning advice" against the Truth before I make any decisions.

    I hope you are doing well today. It is soooo cold here. (I'm doing laundry just so I can feel warm clothes!) If I could figure out a way to send you some snow, I would. As a matter of fact, you can have all of it!

    love,
    karen

    ReplyDelete