Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 6 Exodus 1-14 Part 1

In Ex. 1 we find the Israelites in Egypt, they have prospered since the deaths of Joseph and the former Pharaoh. The new Pharaoh decides they are too numerous and may join Egypt’s enemies in war against Egypt.

10 Come, we must deal shrewdly with them or they will become even more numerous and, if war breaks out, will join our enemies, fight against us and leave the country."

Can’t you just imagine the enemy whispering in Pharaoh and his advisers’ ears?

11 So the Egyptians assigned taskmasters over the Israelites to oppress them with forced labor.

If we listen to satan when he whispers in our ear, he become our taskmaster and oppresses us.

In Ex 2, we get our 1st glimpse of Moses the man when he kills an Egyptian who is beating a Hebrew slave. Sometimes I have trouble seeing what the Bible has to say about Moses because I imagine Charlton Heston. Moses had been raised in the palace, but he knew he was a Hebrew. He was frightened he would be killed for killing an Egyptian. He fled to Midian. He assisted the priest of Midian’s daughters at the well.

19 They answered, "An Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds. He even drew water for us and watered the flock."

The 2nd time we see him as someone who rescues people. I have to ask myself do I see the downtrodden, those who face injustice, or do I turn a blind eye?

23 After a long time, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned because of their difficult labor, and they cried out; and their cry for help ascended to God because of the difficult labor. 24 So God heard their groaning, and He remembered His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 25 God saw the Israelites, and He took notice.

God took notice of His people, such beautiful words. Just because we think we are not hearing from the Lord does not mean He does not hear us or notice us. He does. God is never late.

Ex 3 Moses is shepherding the flock…a picture of what he is about to do with God’s people, a symbol of what Jesus does for us.

Have you ever wondered what you would do if you witnessed the burning bush as Moses did? I wonder would I be in awe or would I throw water on it trying to extinguish the fire?

11 But Moses asked God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I should bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"

How many times do we cry out use me in ministry Lord? Only to say – Lord you can’t mean me. Surely You don’t want me to do that. I mean come on, this is totally out of my comfort zone…I don’t want to return to Egypt. Of course we just need to remember He is with us because He sent us. 14 God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you." I think verse 14 is 1 of the most powerful verses in the Bible. I Am has sent me to you. Let it resonate for a minute. I want to worship Yaweh as I type!

18 They will listen to what you say. Then you, along with the elders of Israel, must go to the king of Egypt and say to him: The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Now please let us go on a three-day trip into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God. A reminder, we need to be prayed up before we embark on something for the Lord and fasting may be in order as well.

Ex 4: 10 But Moses replied to the LORD, "Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent—either in the past or recently or since You have been speaking to Your servant —because I am slow and hesitant in speech." How often have I asked the Lord to send someone else?

31 The people believed, and when they heard that the LORD had paid attention to them and that He had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped. We need to remain in worship as the Lord sends us out into the world.

Ex 5: 2 But Pharaoh responded, "Who is the LORD that I should obey Him by letting Israel go? I do not know the LORD, and what's more, I will not let Israel go." Pharaoh certainly came to know Yaweh, didn’t he!

22 So Moses went back to the LORD and asked, "Lord, why have You caused trouble for this people? And why did You ever send me? 23 Ever since I went in to Pharaoh to speak in Your name he has caused trouble for this people, and You haven't delivered Your people at all." How I can identify with Moses, it’s all about God’s timing and not mine…sometimes we feel foolish while waiting because we do not see the big picture, we are in the minute unlike our God.

Ex 6: 1 But the LORD replied to Moses, "Now you are going to see what I will do to Pharaoh: he will let them go because of My strong hand; he will drive them out of his land because of My strong hand." 2 Then God spoke to Moses, telling him, "I am Yahweh. 3 I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I did not make My name Yahweh known to them.

Powerful words, gives me Holy Ghost chill bumps. God is more than able to do what He says He will do.

6 "Therefore tell the Israelites: I am Yahweh, and I will deliver you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and free you from slavery to them. Have I been dwelling in Egypt? Am I a slave to anything other than Christ? If the answer is yes, I need to remember – Yaweh delivered me from Egypt and forced labor. I am a blood bought, free woman in Christ Jesus!

9 Moses told this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because of their broken spirit and hard labor. Have I been so broken, so exhausted, I have not listened to God’s message in a sermon or in the Word?

Ex 7: 5 The Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out My hand against Egypt, and bring out the Israelites from among them."

Lord, I always want to know You are Yaweh, I pray my country knows You are Yaweh before You have to stretch Your had over us.

Ex 8 – 11 We come to the plagues, makes me shudder when I read them. How often have I opened the doors to “plagues” in my house because I did not surrender to the Lord or I have prayed Annette’s will in the Name of Jesus.

Ex 12 – The Passover – what words can describe the Passover experienced by the Israelites? We are so fortunate to be New Covenant girls. Do we expect to meet our Passover Lamb when receiving Communion, or is it a tradition?

Ex 13:17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them along the road to the land of the Philistines, even though it was nearby; for God said, "The people will change their minds and return to Egypt if they face war." 18 So He led the people around toward the Red Sea along the road of the wilderness. And the Israelites left the land of Egypt in battle formation. How often do we think about turning around and living in the past?

Ex 14: 4 I will harden Pharaoh's heart so that he will pursue them. Then I will receive glory by means of Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD." So the Israelites did this. Do I give the Lord glory or seek it for myself?

Egypt is starting to look good again, bondage no longer seems like a bad thing to them:

11 They said to Moses: "Is it because there are no graves in Egypt that you took us to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? 12 Isn't this what we told you in Egypt: Leave us alone so that we may serve the Egyptians? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness."

31 When Israel saw the great power that the LORD used against the Egyptians, the people feared the LORD and believed in Him and in His servant Moses. - May I believe by faith and not depend on sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment