Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 6 Part 2 - Exodus 15-21

In Chapter 15:1-18, the Israelites reiterate everything the Lord has done for them as they praise Him. I think this is a valuable example to us, as we praise or pray – we can build our faith by reviewing what He has done for us. We see another 1 of His names: The Lord Who Heals – Jehovah Rapha…glory to Him.

Chapter 16: 3 The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the LORD's hand in the land of Egypt, when we sat by pots of meat and ate all the bread we wanted. Instead, you brought us into this wilderness to make this whole assembly die of hunger!" Do you ever want to say what is wrong with these people until you realize we’ve all been those people at 1 time or another.

Verse 10: 10 As Aaron was speaking to the entire Israelite community, they turned toward the wilderness, and there, in a cloud, the LORD's glory appeared. I hope to witness His glory cloud some day – wouldn’t it be great if it happened in church!

Chapter 17: 3 But the people thirsted there for water, and grumbled against Moses. They said, "Why did you ever bring us out of Egypt to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?" They were back to thinking Egypt was better…Moses was afraid they would kill him, I know they were human and we are human, but it is hard to imagine their fear knowing what they witnessed the Lord doing for them since they departed Egypt. In verse 15: We see His Name – The Lord is My Banner – Jehovah Nisi…remember He goes before us in battle.

Chapter 18: Moses has a family reunion, I really never think about his family. Jethro gives Moses some wise advice which he takes:

19 Now listen to me; I will give you some advice, and God be with you. You be the one to represent the people before God and bring their cases to Him. 20 Instruct them about the statutes and laws, and teach them the way to live and what they must do. 21 But you should select from all the people able men, God-fearing, trustworthy, and hating bribes. Place [them] over the people as officials of thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens. 22 They should judge the people at all times. Then they can bring you every important case but judge every minor case themselves. In this way you will lighten your load, and they will bear [it] with you. 23 If you do this, and God [so] directs you, you will be able to endure, and also all these people will be able to go home satisfied." We cannot do it alone and if we think we can, the Lord cannot use us in ministry.

Chapter 19: God tells how He brought the people to Him, to be His people, His holy nation, this convicted me to be in earnest prayer again for Israel.

Chapter 20: The 10 Commandments – I am using the Holman Christian Standard Bible for this study, I wanted to use a version I have not read in the past. I found this a fresh way to look at verse 7: Do not misuse the name of the LORD your God, because the LORD will punish anyone who misuses His name. Lord, Your name is misused in songs, conversation, TV shows, and movies. Please forgive us. Convict people as they misuse Your Name. I am so thankful You have a name which is not known on earth and cannot be profaned here.

Chapter 21: I must say once more, I am so glad I am a New Covenant Girl! Can you imagine trying to live by all these laws when you would have to make a sacrifice every time you sinned. A lamb or bird would die. We’d go broke trying to buy unblemished lambs. I am so thankful I am redeemed by the Blood of Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. You are so right Annette, we can ask what is up with these people, but then we realize that we have acted the same way. Great idea to read in a different version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, Lord, that we are living under the New Covenant. I hope you can make it to Bible study tonight. It shouldn't be cold, but might be a little wet. We didn't go last week, but are planning to tonight! Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading what stands out for my friends! I want to get convicted in those times when I misuse His name. Thank you for sharing. Have fun tonight. Are you grilling for dinner? :)
    Love to you from Michigan... It's warm today!
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete