Monday, January 26, 2009

Week Four, Genesis 43-50, Job 1 - 19

1 Now the famine was still severe in the land. 2 So when they had eaten all the grain they had brought from Egypt, their father said to them, "Go back and buy us a little more food."
3 But Judah said to him, "The man warned us solemnly, 'You will not see my face again unless your brother is with you.' 4 If you will send our brother along with us, we will go down and buy food for you. 5 But if you will not send him, we will not go down, because the man said to us, 'You will not see my face again unless your brother is with you.' "

6 Israel asked, "Why did you bring this trouble on me by telling the man you had another brother?"

7 They replied, "The man questioned us closely about ourselves and our family. 'Is your father still living?' he asked us. 'Do you have another brother?' We simply answered his questions. How were we to know he would say, 'Bring your brother down here'?"

8 Then Judah said to Israel his father, "Send the boy along with me and we will go at once, so that we and you and our children may live and not die. 9 I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him here before you, I will bear the blame before you all my life.

Jacob was so worried about Benjamin due to past experiences in his life. Somehow in my head when I read: why did you bring this trouble on me, I hear it spoken in the accent of an old, Jewish man. Then I imagine a man who is set in his ways. I wonder then how set in my ways am I? Do I carry negativity from past experiences with me or do I view the future through the lens of the Gospel? I love the fact that Judah guarantees Benjamin's safety, just as one of his descendant's Jesus Christ of Nazareth guarantees to never leave us or forsake us.



14 And may God Almighty grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved."

Jacob prayed before they departed and ended his prayer declaring he was bereaved. I can't imagine his anxiety and worry, but I want to follow his example and pray.

30 Deeply moved at the sight of his brother, Joseph hurried out and looked for a place to weep. He went into his private room and wept there...when I read this, the girl in me was screaming - tell them who you are, but it's about God's timing, not my own.

Gen 45 - Joseph finally reveals who he is. We have all seen dramatic reveals on various TV shows, however I don't think they compare to this one. He also lets his brothers off the hook very quickly in verse 5: And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. 6 For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will not be plowing and reaping. 7 But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.


24 Then he sent his brothers away, and as they were leaving he said to them, "Don't quarrel on the way!" I am always tickled by this verse, even though he had been gone from his family for many, many years - he still knew his brothers.


Gen 46: Israel/Jacob knew to offer sacrifices to the Lord as he journeyed to Egypt, I have said it before and I will say it again, how much better would situations be if we prayed and praised before entering a difficult meeting, a crowded discount store, the post office, etc:

1 So Israel set out with all that was his, and when he reached Beersheba, he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
2 And God spoke to Israel in a vision at night and said, "Jacob! Jacob!"
"Here I am," he replied.

3 "I am God, the God of your father," he said. "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. 4 I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again. And Joseph's own hand will close your eyes."

Can you imagine the love that flowed freely when Israel and Joseph saw each other and embraced, if only my heart was so thrilled when I saw my family and when I approach the Lord in prayer or in His word.


33 When Pharaoh calls you in and asks, 'What is your occupation?' 34 you should answer, 'Your servants have tended livestock from our boyhood on, just as our fathers did.' Then you will be allowed to settle in the region of Goshen, for all shepherds are detestable to the Egyptians."

The Egyptians found shepherds detestable, just as so many find the Shepherd detestable today. Lord, please turn the hearts of Your lost sheep to Jesus - our Shepherd, may they know His voice!

Gen 47: 9 And Jacob said to Pharaoh, "The years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty. My years have been few and difficult, and they do not equal the years of the pilgrimage of my fathers." 10 Then Jacob blessed [b] Pharaoh and went out from his presence.

Jacob blessed Pharaoh...it seems Pharaoh received the blessing. Do I bless people where ever I go, is Christ evident in me? Do I offer silent prayers for the cashiers, the stockers, other shoppers?

As the famine increased, the people depended on the govt. Do I depend on the govt. or the Lord in lean times?

Gen 48: Jacob recounts to Joseph what the Lord did for him. We should do that too. We need to remind ourselves how God has blessed us and always will bless us. Jacob claims Joseph's sons and blesses them:

15 Then he blessed Joseph and said,
"May the God before whom my fathers
Abraham and Isaac walked,
the God who has been my shepherd
all my life to this day,

16 the Angel who has delivered me from all harm
—may he bless these boys.
May they be called by my name
and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac,
and may they increase greatly
upon the earth."

17 When Joseph saw his father placing his right hand on Ephraim's head he was displeased; so he took hold of his father's hand to move it from Ephraim's head to Manasseh's head. 18 Joseph said to him, "No, my father, this one is the firstborn; put your right hand on his head."

19 But his father refused and said, "I know, my son, I know. He too will become a people, and he too will become great. Nevertheless, his younger brother will be greater than he, and his descendants will become a group of nations." 20 He blessed them that day and said,
"In your [c] name will Israel pronounce this blessing:
'May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh.' "
So he put Ephraim ahead of Manasseh.

21 Then Israel said to Joseph, "I am about to die, but God will be with you and take you back to the land of your fathers. 22 And to you, as one who is over your brothers, I give the ridge of land I took from the Amorites with my sword and my bow."

Gen 49: Jacob gathers his sons around and speaks his last words to them. I would hate to be on the receiving end of some of them. 49:10 has some of the dearest words ever, the promise of the Messiah:

The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until He comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is His.

Gen 50: Jacob was mourned in Egypt and buried in Canaan. After Jacob dies, his brothers begin to wonder if Joseph held a grudge against them...probably all those years of living with a lie had taken a toll of them:

15 When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?" 16 So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died: 17 'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.

Joseph assured them all was forgiven. The last we hear of Joseph he assures his family that God will aid them and he asked his bones not be left in Egypt. I will miss the Patriarchs along with their drama, dysfunction, love, and seeking the Lord, I can so relate to imperfect families by looking in the mirror at my own face.

Job's portfolio and life is laid out before us. His children loved to banquet and took turns throwing them. I wonder if that is similar to living off a trust fund today? Did they think they could live off their father's spiritual blessings and inherit eternal life through him instead of believing Messiah would come?

1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.
4 His sons used to take turns holding feasts in their homes, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would send and have them purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, "Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." This was Job's regular custom.

The angels present themselves to the Lord for an accounting and satan joins them:

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Satan mocked God, he tried to induce God into striking everything Job had.

In verse 22 we have such a holy witness: In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. I don't think I have blamed God for things, I certainly hope I never do. I know we have all heard people blame God for various situations and events, but He is not the author of evil, sickness, or disease. He is the Father of Lights, every good and perfect gift comes from Him.

In chapter 2 of Job, we see satan is still at it:
1 On another day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
3 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

4 "Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life. 5 But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

6 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. 8 Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

9 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish [b] woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Job still retains his integrity after losing family, livestock, and health. Job's own wife wanted him to curse God. Can you imagine living with a spouse who wants you to curse God! Job's 3 friends arrive and the visit begins so well, 7 days and nights no one spoke. Imagine the power of the silence.

In chapter 3 Job curses the day he was born, yet his did not curse God. We can only imagine the physical and emotional pain he suffered at this point. In Chapter 4 & 5Eliphaz speaks, I chose a couple of verses to post:

6 Should not your piety be your confidence
and your blameless ways your hope?

7 "Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished?
Where were the upright ever destroyed?

8 As I have observed, those who plow evil
and those who sow trouble reap it.

So in effect he is blaming Job for his distress. He would have been better served to keep his mouth shut. We don't know why people suffer, after all we all sin. Eliphaz sounds so concerned at 1st...I shudder to think of horrible words I have uttered in all sincerity in love and truth to people over the years. In chapters 6 & 7, Job responds to Eliphaz:

10 Then I would still have this consolation—
my joy in unrelenting pain—
that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.

11 "What strength do I have, that I should still hope?
What prospects, that I should be patient?

12 Do I have the strength of stone?
Is my flesh bronze?

13 Do I have any power to help myself,
now that success has been driven from me?

14 "A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends,
even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

We must put our confidence in the Lord and not men, not even our friends.

Chapter 8 Bildad says: 2 "How long will you say such things?
Your words are a blustering wind.

3 Does God pervert justice?
Does the Almighty pervert what is right?

4 When your children sinned against him,
he gave them over to the penalty of their sin.

5 But if you will look to God
and plead with the Almighty,

6 if you are pure and upright,
even now he will rouse himself on your behalf
and restore you to your rightful place.

Does anyone wonder if the phrase with friends like that who needs enemies orginate in the days of Job? Bildad was not the least bit encouraging. He did not pray for Job. He stated his opinion - Oh Lord, forgive me for the times I stated my opinions when I should have been in prayer for someone.

Chapters 9 & 10 Job responds to Biddad, he began to talk about God and His wisdom and quit complaining. During hard times, I want to remain focused on the Lord, I want to truly examine my heart and repent from sin and cast it out of my life. I want friends to pray for me, I don't mind godly counsel, but I don't need the blustery speeches of a Bildad or Bildadene in my life!

In chapter 11, we hear from Zophar, 2 "Are all these words to go unanswered?
Is this talker to be vindicated?

3 Will your idle talk reduce men to silence?
Will no one rebuke you when you mock?

4 You say to God, 'My beliefs are flawless
and I am pure in your sight.'

5 Oh, how I wish that God would speak,
that he would open his lips against you

6 and disclose to you the secrets of wisdom,
for true wisdom has two sides.
Know this: God has even forgotten some of your sin.

What a way to talk to your friend, I don't see truth and love here...to me Zophar comes across as a pompous man - Lord help me, do I come across as a pompous woman...I never want to be pompous or a know it all.

In chapter 12, Job got his grit back, he says in the following verses:

4 "I have become a laughingstock to my friends,
though I called upon God and he answered—
a mere laughingstock, though righteous and blameless

13 "To God belong wisdom and power;
counsel and understanding are his.
Job 13
1 "My eyes have seen all this,
my ears have heard and understood it.

2 What you know, I also know;
I am not inferior to you.

3 But I desire to speak to the Almighty
and to argue my case with God.

4 You, however, smear me with lies;
you are worthless physicians, all of you!

5 If only you would be altogether silent!
For you, that would be wisdom.

20 "Only grant me these two things, O God,
and then I will not hide from you:

21 Withdraw your hand far from me,
and stop frightening me with your terrors.

22 Then summon me and I will answer,
or let me speak, and you reply.

Oh Lord, may I be concerned with Your opinion and Your words, not the things of this world or popular opinion...but You Lord.

Job and his friends continue the discourse through the rest of the readings for this week. Job suffered mightily, but he never blamed the Lord, I so want to be a women who never blames the Lord. Here are a few verses which really touched me:

My offenses will be sealed up in a bag; you will cover over my sin.

Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you that you keep on arguing?

I also could speak like you, if you were in my place; I could make fine speeches against you and shake my head at you. But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

4 comments:

  1. You make so many good points. It fell fresh on me that The Lion of Judah was from Leah's lineage. I also love your humor in telling others our occupation is a shepherd--to keep others away. Then seriously, people detest the Shepherd today. Never connected the shepherd imagery like that. Just that the angel would appear to shepherds in the fields, not the Pharisees--always thought that told volumes of God's values. You should be writing commentaries for Scripture. I love your thoughts and heart.
    Love,AnnetteG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your insights!

    Blessings
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your words hit my heart today. I want to be joyful when I greet my family. If Joseph could forgive after all he had suffered, my petty grievances could surely be swept aside. His Word is living and active...I pray that it continue to work in our hearts.

    love,
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a reminder . . . how many would God bless through us, if we were but open to being used by Him?

    Blessings,
    Linda

    HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

    ReplyDelete